Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Volta do mar

Over the river and thru the woods
the woods-- the unholy dark blanket that lies
between your house and mine.
I still do not have your correct address.
I still do not know your mother's name.
On windy afternoons I watch her clothspin sheets and socks
to the piece of twine that strings like the Straight of Gibraltar thru your backyard.

I'm thinking of asking you to marry me.
We should live together now, since we...
we could have a small ceremony, or a giant one
that overtakes this town. You could wear something soft
that your mother (what's her name?) made.
I could borrow my brother's suit, he only wears it to church.
It still has the tags on it. I'll buy a tie.

This is a good plan. You wearing something soft,
me in my new tie.
We could have lamb after the ceremony-- my father just shot one of ours.
Your mother can carry some flowers from the field, where we...
Do preachers take bribes? Can they keep quiet?

1 comment:

Melissa Crowe said...

You're on fire, my dear.
I'm glad I found you here.